Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Venezia, Day 1

Milano is to Venice what New York is to New Orleans: Much more hectic, people are (almost) constantly on the go, and no one really stops to think of the fact that they live in an actual geographic location. Venice, I was pleased to find out, has many similarities to my hometown, so my weekend there couldn't have been more therapeutic or magical.

First of all, it is hard to even publish this post because photos could never do a city like Venice justice. I tried my hardest, though (and, for the first time, used my SLR digital camera, a Canon 20D, which proved to be a fruitful idea and produced fantastic results). Within the first couple of hours in the city, I realized that Venetians, much like New Orleanians, have the not-s0-simple task of dealing with their geographic location and environs. Venice is also a lot more relaxed and, although it is Italy and no one actually works or has a real job, they are even more relaxed about it here.

Venice is, in fact, sinking, and there is evidence of this all over the city. I was amazed to walk into a piazza and on the border with the canal, part of the pavement is actually submerged. I was thankful to visit it at such a ripe young age and at a time when, although everything in Milano is still for the most part blissful, I needed a quiet weekend to myself and some time to just think, walk around, and, of course, listen to Beyonce.

I know. She was here. She was here just 3 WEEKS ago, for her 30th birthday, with Jay and their baby boy to-be...okay I don't know it's a boy but that's what we're secretly all hoping for, right?. I mean think about it...If it's a girl and it inherits ANY of Jay's looks, she's fucked. But a boy could do that and still be able to move his body in a way that would make Kelly and Michelle blush (again). Anyway, every yacht and fancy hotel I saw I kept an eye peeled for her, possibly wearing a lacefront and a freakum dress. But to no avail.

The following 3 posts will show exactly what I saw in Venice, day by day, including all of the magical and unexpected sights she offered to me on a silver platter. Without further adieu, Venezia.


Okay, I know, I hate those people that are like, "Roll 1: My luggage" But I thought you should see my trip from the beginning! The Milano train station is breathtaking. I left on Friday at 4 pm and Venice is luckily only a 2.5 hour train ride away - the PERFECT weekend trip.


Venice and N.O. have something else in common than gorgeous decay and a deep-rooted relationship with water: a causeway! I mean, how else are you going to reach a city that is literally comprised of 117 small islands in the Adriatic Sea?


My first view of the city, from the bridge across from the train station. It was about 7:15 when I actually got there and the light was beautiful. Luckily, my hostel, L'Imbarcadero (very nice, would recommend) was only a 2 minute walk from here and ON the Grand Canal (in the Santa Croce district).

After dropping my bags off at the hostel, I made my way over to Piazza San Marco, the main square of the city. I traveled via Vaporetto, the city's version of a subway, which are basically passenger ferries that stop all along the Grand Canal and there was luckily a station just outside my hostel's door.

I was by myself, so Alex, the hostel's coordinator, suggested I go there. It's a little touristy and typical, but then again, so is Venice in general (there literally isn't a "down season"). I bought a couple of beers and sat down and listened to a live orchestra outside of a restaurant for about an hour, which was amazing. The above panorama shows the view from my seat.


I loved this guy's shoes and kindly asked for a few photos.


This is a phenomenon all over Italy, and I hate it. Couples come to a bridge and lock a padlock to it, only to come and unlock it at a future time (I don't get it and I hate it). I will say I love the padlock on the right though.

More to come soon, a huge post detailing my second day in the city of and for lovers. And for me sitting with a couple of beers listening to Upgrade U. Life, sometimes, is so sweet.

Ciao
-Jai'me

No comments:

Post a Comment