Monday, October 24, 2011

Barcelona


As I mentioned before, I recently had a bout of tonsillitis which, among other things, rendered me completely useless and miserable for a couple of days. I went into the hospital on Monday and, while I knew I had already booked/paid for my trip to Barcelona starting Thursday (and that I wasn't going to miss that), I didn't know that I would be on antibiotics and, therefore, unable to drink. Devotees to my life will be astonished to hear that, in the 4 days that I was in Barcelona last weekend, a city about which I've heard nothing but stories of all-night partying, I didn't have a drop of alcohol. Yep. Imagine, me searching the city for non-alcoholic beer the entire time. It was a little surreal. Not to mention depressing.

However, the stars aligned and it turns out that the group I went with, all classmates from NABA, turned out to be, well, not the partying crowd. All was for the best: I was hellbent on getting healthy (after all, I leave on Friday for a 10-day backpacking trip to Berlin, Prague, and Vienna, a solo excursion I have every intention of being social and blitzed for) and was able to see the city in a different light than what I've heard about this whole time.

And, as it turns out, there is more to Barcelona than partying. It's a beautiful city, hands-down. Many different neighborhoods, easy to find weed (thank you, Jesus), and generally a good time. I was able to do some light shopping and feel the ocean breeze on my skin. The best part? That one day, I will revisit, possibly with you, and treat the city the way that my tonsils treated me: like a worthless whore that can do nothing but serve its host. Hun, I deserve it.

Damn, Countess LuAnn gets around. She gets inside your head, man!
My beer of choice: 0.0% Free Damm

At the Park Guell, which was designed by Gaudi (of course) and offers an amazing view of the entire city.

Obviously, in heaven.

1 comment: